Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Even Wordsworth Knew...

...the ego is never up to any good. It is responsible for most of my anxiety, and I'm pretty sure that I'm not alone there.

This post is pretty random... I'm in a weird place in my head right now. So, I apologize if it doesn't make sense.

Anyways, I love Wordsworth. I'm taking a class on him this semester, and while it's been incredibly challenging, (agh... close readings of 18th century poems certainly get tedious) I have learned a lot so far. And my (extremely British) professor rocks, too. I was excited to take a grad class from him after taking a few classes from him in my undergrad years.

Soooo..... back to Wordsworth.

Wordsworth's poetry makes an interesting companion to Don Blazer's The Nine Secrets of Perfect Horsemanship. LOL. I often revisit Blazer's book whenever my insecurities start to bleed back into my life. Blazer talks a lot about the ego, and how destructive it can be to, basically, anyone trying to achieve anything. Because of our desire to look good in front of others, we often end up making stupid mistakes and make choices that do more harm than good.

A section from his poem, "Lines Left Upon A Seat In A Yew Tree."


Stranger! henceforth be warned; and know that pride,
Howe'er disguised in its own majesty,
Is littleness; that he, who feels contempt
For any living thing, hath faculties
Which he has never used; that thought with him
Is in its infancy. The man whose eye
Is ever on himself doth look on one,
The least of Nature's works, one who might move
The wise man to that scorn which wisdom holds
Unlawful, ever. O be wiser, Thou!
Instructed that true knowledge leads to love;
True dignity abides with him alone
Who, in the silent hour of inward thought,
Can still suspect, and still revere himself,
In lowliness of heart.


Awesome, eh?

Now, back to your regularly scheduled program. :-P

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails