Tuesday, August 10, 2010

A Dilemma

Joe and I had the best weekend ever on the Oregon coast. It was awesome! When I can get off my butt and upload all the photos I took, I'll do another post and talk more about the trip itself. But for now, this will have to do :)

Besides, I want to talk through something and maybe come to some sort of conclusion by the end of this, LOL.

So, part of the reason for this trip was to take a look at a Papillon puppy that I'm considering as my next performance prospect. "On paper," he fits all my criteria: brave, bold, and friendly temperament, solid structure, and healthy parents. Meeting him, he was adorable, sweet, and everything they said he would be. My only concern was his inability to make eye contact with me, but after all, he's just a 12 week old toy-breed puppy. That will come with age and training. And still, something held me back. I'm not sure what it was, but I just couldn't make up my mind whether to get him or not. So, we left without him, but his breeders offered to give me some time to make up my mind. There are other ways to get him to me, so that's not the big deal. The "dilemma" is that I just can't decide what to do; that I don't feel strongly either way.



Here's a short list of pros and cons... to help me out. Yes, it's all about me today, apparently. Ugh.

Pros:
Good temperament (he's so friendly, fearless, not sound or motion sensitive, and loving)
Good structure with the bonus of having a beautiful head and the promise of a lovely, correct coat.(He will be able to be shown, which would be fun to get back into, as well)
Healthy, well-tempered, well-built parents who have produced the type of dog I want
A little older (13 weeks) so he should be a bit less work than a baby pup
Good contract... very fair and open

Cons:
Lack of focus-- he was interested in me, but would run off whenever he spotted something more interesting.
Money... as always. Even though the breeders are flexible and willing to work with me
School... I start up my last year of grad school in a few weeks. However, my schedule is much better than last year (I will be able to be home a lot). Plus, I graduate in May so it'll all be over in 9 months anyways. But still, it worries me. Do I need the added work and stress?
And finally... I know it sounds weird, but for most dogs I've ever gotten, I had a name picked out beforehand that ended up fitting perfectly. I have no idea what to call this pup.

Have any of you experienced this? What could it mean? Dang, I really hate being so indecisive...

:-P

3 comments:

  1. he was very cute, another con is that he is really small and it was hard not to step on him haha. I think you should get an agility Boston :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. If it did not feel right the moment you met him, pass on it. Your instincts are telling you something! :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails