Thursday, December 2, 2010

Perfection, a Response

The topic of this post is different than what I usually write about. In fact, I hardly mention dogs at all. But I read something this morning that really got to me.

This blog post, titled "Perfection" and written by Single Dad Laughing, really made me stop and think about a lot of things, like how I treat myself, and how I treat other people.

The main idea (or thesis statement, for all you English composition-minded people) of this post is that the illusion of "perfection"--which we all cling to/are affected by in some way--is not only completely unobtainable, but seriously destructive. As the article mentions, it can even lead otherwise normal people to harm themselves and even commit suicide.

This is unacceptable. And it needs to change.

Why is it that we strive towards something we can never achieve? Why do we constantly compare ourselves to others, when we should really be working towards becoming the best version of ourselves?

So many times I have been afraid to face my fears, afraid of the inevitable hardship and rejection, without considering that I might be better off in the long run. The drive to not appear to "fail" in front of others (or yourself) is strong, at least for me. The problem is, the more I try to hold onto that illusion of perfection, the more self-destructive I become. Part of me thinks, how can I possibly ever be happy when all I can think about are my shortcomings?

After reading "Perfection," I feel like a part of me has been reawakened. I am going to make an effort to be less passive about things. Trust myself. Try to love myself. Consider it a work in progress :)


How has the disease of "perfection" affected YOU?

1 comment:

  1. My BF is the one that reminds me to stop and take a breath and relax that its the imperfections that make him love me. There is no perfect. I realized I cant have the perfect dog and Fred reminds me of that every day. I gave up on seeking it with him and now I have learned to enkjoy him more. I really think the seeking perfections crosses all aspects of human life. great post.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails