Wednesday, December 15, 2010

On Break... But Back to Work!

Thankfully not school work :)

Today I was finally able to go to Dianne's again to work Moss. My plan is to work him on sheep at least twice a week over Christmas vacation, to get in some good training time and also in preparation for the Big Freeze Stock Dog Trial at the end of January. I am planning on running him in Novice and (*gulp*) Nursery.

Today, Moss really impressed me... especially considering we haven't worked in over a month. He was a little overeager; a bit tighter on his flanks and more amped up than usual. However, I was able to figure out what I needed to do to correct him and we figured things out. We're both a little rusty, but motivated :) I ran him twice. The first time, we worked mainly on outruns and I worked hard at getting him to kick out on the comebye side and calm down on the fetch. Young dog stuff. For the second work, Dianne had us work on driving; I had him driving a square around me, with me standing in the center. Because I had him switch directions several times, we got to work on inside flanks as well as holding straight lines at a variety of angles. It was good practice for me as well as him.

But he's such a good boy... very honest and trustworthy. I am excited to see what his future holds.

2 comments:

  1. Clever Moss! I am glad that both of you've had a good day! Good luck for the trial too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah Moss! I cant wait to see how things go! Good Luck and keep us posted!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails