Sunday, October 3, 2010

Obsession... by Mossimo

This is a shout out for help to all you agility peeps out there... what do you do with a dog that is so obsessed with toys that he can't think when they're around?

What do you do when you want to start agility with said dog, and would like to figure out a way to channel his obsession positively?



So... some back story....

Now that he's home pretty much for good, I've decided to start Moss in agility this fall, with the goal of getting him in my instructor's beginning agility group class in January-ish. He has primarily done stockwork (at which he excels) and a little bit of basic obedience and manners training. He also knows a few tricks. Moss is a bright, athletic boy that I think could have a great future in agility as well as stockwork. He's well socialized and very well-adjusted.

He is also out-of-his-mind obsessed with toys, something I've never had to deal with (to this degree) before. I've probably encouraged, or at least not discouraged, a lot of it because it's only a problem when I'm trying to use the toy to teach him something. He doesn't try to drag the toy out of my hand (he's too polite for that), but will circle me, stare only at me while I'm holding the toy (instead of focusing on what's around him), and just gets really overly excited.

I'd like to find a way to temper this manic behavior and channel it into something positive. I'm just not sure how to get there. With Cedar, as with most other dogs I've trained, the toy has worked nicely as a reward; she is excited to have it, but not to the point where she forgets everything else.

Are there any tips, tricks, or games that y'all might know about that can help him to learn better focus and to get him to work WITH the toy instead of obsessing over it?

Moss and I thank you!

4 comments:

  1. I'd work on the obedience foundation you have with one of his toys (a lower value one, if such a toy exists) at a distance away. Put it on the ground, then work on his heeling and attention at a distance. When you get some good focus, release him and run together for the toy and a play session. You may have to use food as a reward as well in order to keep him from obsessing, but by finding the distance at which he can focus on you, the toy becomes the reward rather than a stare target. You can gradually decrease the distance until you're able to be right next to the toy; if he can't focus on you, back him up until he can.

    Just my opinion. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I so wish I could give advice but mine are lucky they know their name hehehe :)
    I love to get inspired by your blog and wish my dogs would even have an ounce of focus that yours have so for now we will keep dreaming!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Unfortunately I am of no help either. I tend to have the opposite problem, somedays (like today) I can throw a ball for a game of fetch, and my dog just stands and watches it bounce away ... lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would start with trying to get him to take food rewards while a toy is out. Basically start doing leave it training with a toy on the ground while rewarding from your hands. Eventually you can move up to moving the toy around a little bit, while rewarding any behavior that is not "staring at toy". Once he has broken his focus on the toy for a bit, you can intersperse food rewards with sending him to go get the toy. This will teach him to think while the toy is present, while also still allowing him what he wants once in a while.

    Now to take my own advice and teach this behavior to Pirate :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails