Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Deviled Eggs with Bacon and Vidalia Onion

These are delicious.

I mean, what's not to love? Deviled eggs with crispy, crumbly bacon and with a slight mustard-onion flavor to the yolk mixture. Yummy.



99.99999% of the time, I prefer my deviled eggs straight up. The simpler the better... just eggs, mayo, mustard and paprika. This time, I was in a creative mood. Or, I guess I should say, I was in a bacon mood.

Ingredients:

6 large eggs
1 heaping tablespoon mayonnaise
1-2 teaspoons Vidalia Onion Vinaigrette
2 slices bacon (the thinner cut the better)
A dash of paprika
1/8 teaspoon black pepper
A dash of salt

Here's what you do:

1) Fry up two slices of bacon until they are crispy, and set them on a paper towel to drain and cool down. You want to make sure that there's not a lot of surface grease on the bacon, and also that it's really crispy. Soggy bacon in this recipe will ruin your life. Trust me on this one.

2) While the bacon is frying, heat a fairly deep pot of water for the eggs. Once it comes to a boil, add six large eggs, cover the pot, and set the timer for seventeen minutes. I like my eggs really hard boiled and firm textured. Feel free to boil them to your preference, however.

3) When the eggs are done, put them in an ice water bath to cool down for about 10-15 minutes. You want to make sure they're good and cold before doing the cutting/mixing portion of the deviled eggs.

4) While the eggs are cooling, chop/crush your bacon into small pieces. You don't want any ginormous chunks of bacon, but you don't want bacon powder either. Shoot for somewhere in the middle.

5) After the eggs have cooled down peel them, rinse/pat dry, and slice in half lengthwise. Gently scoop the hard boiled yokes (yellow part)into a small bowl. Set the egg white halves on a plate or in a deviled egg tray.

6) Mash yokes with a fork until finely crumbled. Add 1 tablespoon of mayonnaise and stir to combine and smooth out mixture. If it's a bit lumpy, that's okay. At least... I don't mind it.

7) Next, add in the Vidalia Onion vinaigrette, to taste. Start out with a little, and add more if needed. It's really good, and has a delicious onion and mustard flavor that adds a lot of depth to these eggs. You can find this dressing at the grocery store. I used "Virginia Brand." Add salt and pepper to taste. Add bacon crumbles. Stir mixture together to combine all ingredients.

8) With a spoon, carefully fill each of the egg halves with the yoke mixture. Sprinkle with paprika for garnish.

Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. well ive had your regular deviled eggs and they are the best, so I am interested to try them with a little bacon kick, because lets face it bacon makes everything better

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh heck yeah, I love bacon and so do my dogs :) I am a huge fan of deviled eggs and lord these look amazing - the vadalia onio dressing has my interest peeked - I am so making these and I will let you know how it turns out!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails