Tuesday, May 8, 2012

On Heart Dogs

This morning I read this post by fellow dog blogger Jenna over at Jenna and Snickers. It got me thinking about my own heart dog, Cedar.


Like Jenna, I never really believed in or understood the term "heart dog" before I got my very own. I thought it was something "those" dog owners said about their "furkids" and all that nonsense. Every dog I've ever owned has been special to me in some way. Sure, some I have had more connection with than others. I have had lots of dogs I liked, a few "favorite" dogs, but only one heart dog.

It was clear to me and everyone who knew us that practically from the get-go, Cedar and I had a bond that ran deeper than just a normal dog-human relationship. We can almost read each others' thoughts. She is by my side constantly. That, I think, is what makes a dog a "heart dog" and not just a "favorite dog." That little something extra. We just "get" each other. Cedar is not an easy dog to "get," but again maybe I'm not easy to read either. For us, it works.


Being so close has not always been beneficial to our working relationship. Cedar feeds off my emotions in a MAJOR way, and that has caused us lots of problems in herding, and some in agility, especially when we were just getting started. Agility has given her a lot of confidence, and she is now comfortable working further away from me. We don't always get along (I think we frustrate each other a lot, actually, lol) but we understand each other. She has pushed me to be a better dog owner, more intuitive trainer, and a more patient person. She makes my heart full.

To me, that is a heart dog.


I wondered whether I should post this or not, because this blog is about more than just one dog. Not sure that I need to even say this, but I love ALL of my dogs dearly. They ALL bring something special to my life. My sweet Ember, the child-prodigy, with her ever-wagging tail and big puppy grin. Moss, the happy gentle giant, who has been oh-so-patient with me as we learn this herding thing together. Even Scully... who is the best lap dog anyone could ask for... that is, except for the farts.

Without them, I would be nothing.

Do YOU have, or have you had a heart dog? I would love to hear your stories. Feel free to share in the comments section! :)

2 comments:

  1. I thought it was all stuff and nonsense too.

    Then I met Cuna. Admittedly, he's a giant red horse and not a dog, but it's the same idea. That weird connection and crazy love... You can't understand it until you've really felt it and even then, you can't explain it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ellie!

    Thanks for the linkback and for the great post about your relationship with your heartdog. :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails