Thursday, July 15, 2010

My Dirty Secret

I've got a confession to make.

I'm an obsessive rescue/Craiglist stalker. Ever since I randomly came across Marley last year, technically my first Border Collies (I rescued him from the pound and placed him several months later) on Craigslist, it's become a compulsion. Long story short, the lady I gave Marley too promised to call me if she ever couldn't keep him. She didn't, and several years later, I found his ad on Craigslist. It made me incredibly angry. Thankfully, she gave him back to me and I was able to find him a new home... again.

Every day, I scan Craigslist for Border Collies. Maybe I'm still worried I'll come across Marley again, or one of the other dogs I've rescued. I don't know. I just like looking at what's out there in rescue/"rehome" land.

All I do know is that I can't stop myself. :)

Being the obsessive person I am, I have noticed certain patterns...certain excuses people give when, really, they just don't want the dog anymore. I understand that sometimes, people really have no other choice but to give up their dog. But the majority of the time, that is not the case.

For example, take a look at this adorable puppy, whom I found on Craigslist this morning:


He's a 6 month old (supposedly) purebred Border Collie.

Text from the ad:

We love our dog but we had to move to a new house where we can no longer keep him. He is a very smart dog and will make a wonderful pet to any home. A small rehoming fee of $25 is all we are asking. He has some toys and a leash that will be sent with him and half of a 17 lb bag of dog food that will go with him as well. He does very well in cars and in a kennel. He also enjoys swimming and running. Email through this post or call XXX-XXX-XXXX.

Let's decode, shall we?

We love our dog but we had to move to a new house where we can no longer keep him. Translation: Our puppy is now 6 months old and not the cute little fluff ball we thought he would stay forever. He's now turning into a teenage Border Collie and is not so easy to handle.

He is a very smart dog and will make a wonderful pet to any home. Translation: But not ours.

A small rehoming fee of $25 is all we are asking. He has some toys and a leash that will be sent with him and half of a 17 lb bag of dog food that will go with him as well. Translation: We want to recoup a little of what we've spent on him, but really, we just want him gone. And all his crap.

You wouldn't believe how many similar ads there are like this in my local Craigslist pet section. Usually, the dogs are either about 6 months old (or old... past 7 or 8) and the excuses are always the same. Sometimes it just makes me a little sad... but hopeful, too. Maybe these dogs will find a better home this way. What do you think? Is Craigslist a better place to rehome a dog than the shelter, or rescue?

2 comments:

  1. I think it really depends. Better than a shelter, maybe. The owners know their dog better, and hopefully will know what the best home for them would be, where most shelters are just, "Do you have money? Ok, here ya go," at least around here. On the other hand, before I was getting Link, I found a young border collie on craigslist down in southern Oregon (where we were conveniently heading in a couple days for a family reunion) that I really wanted to get. I texted the person for a while, said when I would be coming down, and made arrangements to get him. Then I was told, "Oh, my husband wants him gone now, so first come first serve." No thought to what would be the best home, they just wanted him gone (because he got into the litter box was their reasoning) and couldn't wait a couple of days. :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ye interesting thoughts, I think that a lot of people just dont know what they are getting into with an animal and simply dont want to have to take the time and train them and bond with them.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails